One of our very first ASM databases was created using ASMLib and after a Linux upgrade from 5.9 to 5.10, ASM would not start. After some digging around, I noticed that it was oracleasm that was not loaded.
/etc/init.d/oracleasm status Checking if ASM is loaded: no Checking if /dev/oracleasm is mounted: no
So I tried to manually start it, which failed:
/etc/init.d/oracleasm start Initializing the Oracle ASMLib driver: [FAILED]
To fix this, I downloaded the oracleasm RPM that was for the new version of the kernel. Which can be found using the command:
Download of the oracleasm RPM is available from here.
I then installed it using this command below (-U performs upgrade of existing RPM):
rpm -Uvh oracleasm-*.rpm
Started ASMLib again:
/etc/init.d/oracleasm start Initializing the Oracle ASMLib driver: [ OK ] Scanning the system for Oracle ASMLib disks: [ OK ]
And the problem was solved!!
Alternatively…if you have direct internet access from your server, then you can perform this command to download and update your drivers directly from Oracle: